photo HEADER copy_zpsfiiptbhs.png

Friday, January 8, 2010

La Bamba Casserole

My hubby is quite obsessed with Mexican food, so I am always looking for new dishes that have a Mexican flare. I have cooked taco salad, quesadillas, and enchiladas a thousand different ways. My dear friend Ellen told me about this recipe, and I decided to give it a try. It was a big win for Kyle and me! Hope it meets your expectations too!


Ingredients

  • 1 (5.25-ounce) can whole green chiles, drained
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 pound ground turkey breast
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
  • 2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
  • 1 (16-ounce) can fat-free refried beans
  • 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup chopped tomato
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°.

Cut green chiles in half lengthwise. Arrange chiles in a single layer in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add turkey, onion, chili powder, cumin, salt, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add diced tomatoes; cook 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates.

Spoon turkey mixture over chiles. Top with corn. Carefully spread beans over corn. Sprinkle cheese over beans. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes; top with chopped tomato and green onions.

Serve with tortillas, sour cream, and guacamole.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds excellent Amy! I made those Peanut Butter White Chocolate things and they were a big hit! I trust your recipes to be good!

    ReplyDelete