photo HEADER copy_zpsfiiptbhs.png

Saturday, April 3, 2010

I Need a Savior

"And they stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and twisting together a crown of thorns, they put it on his head and put a reed in his right hand. And kneeling before him, they mocked him, saying, "Hail, King of the Jews!" And they spit on him and took the reed and struck him on the head. And when they had mocked him, they stripped him of the robe and put his own clothes on him and led him away to crucify him." Matthew 27:28-31

As we celebrate Easter this weekend, we can often rush through it just like any other holiday. We get wrapped up in what we are going to wear to the Easter service, did we get everything for the Easter basket, or do we have everything for Easter lunch. Our minds can easily become focused on other things, and we do not take the time to reflect upon why we even celebrate Easter. Since yesterday was Good Friday, this morning I took some time to reflect upon the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, his death on the cross, and his burial. I read through chapter 19 of the book of John and chapter 27 of the book of Matthew. As I read through the scriptures my mind and my heart were instantly focused upon Jesus and the cross. Every time I read this story my first thought is "He did it for me!" At that very moment, Jesus took upon the wrath of God, and He did it for me. He took upon the sins of the world - mine and yours - so that we could be counted as righteous in the eyes of the Lord. It reminds me of the song "In Christ Alone". One line says, "Till on that cross as Jesus died, The wrath of God was satisfied - For every sin on Him was laid; Here in the death of Christ I live." Because of Jesus' death on the cross, we have eternal life! We have a relationship with our Father! This gives us reason to rejoice, and celebrate Easter. My prayer for you is that at some point this weekend, you would have time to reflect upon the death and resurrection of our Savior, Jesus Christ. May our hearts be eternally grateful for His sacrifice, and the blood that was shed so that we might have eternal life!

"When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, 'It is finished,' and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit." John 19:30



In thinking about Good Friday, all I could think about is how much I need a Savior. This song immediately came to my mind. Think about the words as you watch this video. Hope you enjoy it.

And, one more thing.... click here to read an excellent post about Good Friday. This was written by a friend of mine who works for Going Beyond Ministries.

No comments:

Post a Comment