photo HEADER copy_zpsfiiptbhs.png

Friday, April 16, 2010

Counterfeit Gods

Not sure of the idols that exist in you life? Well, I was not either until I read Counterfeit Gods by Tim Keller. This book truly caused me to evaluate my heart, and see what idols exist within it. At the beginning of each chapter I would think, "oh, surely that is not an idol in my life." Then, upon finishing the chapter I would say, "that is definitely an idol in my life." I could write paragraph after paragraph about what the Lord has taught me through reading this book. Instead, I will give you a brief summary, and let you check it out for yourself. It is a very worth your while read! Keller defines an idol as, "Anything more important to you than God, anything that absorbs your heart and imagination more than God, anything you seek to give you what only God can give you." Keller said, "If anything becomes more fundamental than God to your happiness, meaning in life, and identity, then it is an idol. In the first few chapters, Keller discusses what he calls "personal idols": love, money, success, and power. Then, he examines the idols in our life that are more hidden, "not the idols of our heart, but of our culture and society." The following quote really struck me. Keller said, "When we are completely immersed in a society of people who consider a particular idolatrous attachment normal, it becomes almost impossible to discern it for what it is." There is an incredible amount of truth to this statement. Many things in our society today are definitely idols in our lives, but they have become such a norm that we cannot even see it! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, because I began to see that there are many idols that exist in our lives, whether personal or cultural. However, if we do not truly search our hearts, and look below the surface, we will not see them. We must peel back the layers, and see what lies deep within. May we be a people whose hearts truly value God above all, and may He always reign supreme in our lives. "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

Favorite Quotes:

"If we look to some created thing to give us the meaning, hope, and happiness that only God himself can give, it will eventually fail to deliver and break our hearts."

"If we are deeply moved by the sight of his love for us, it detaches our hearts from other would-be saviors. We stop trying to make others into saviors, because we have a Savior."

"To the degree that you grasp the gospel, money will have no dominion over you. Think on his costly grace until it changes you into a generous people."

"Jesus' love and salvation confers on you a remarkable status--one that money cannot give."

"In any culture in which God is largely absent, sex, money, and politics will fill the vacuum for different people."

"In short, all we are and have is given to us by God. We are not infinite Creators, but finite, dependent creatures."

"The true god of your heart is what your thoughts effortlessly go to when there is nothing else demanding your attention."

"Mature Christians are not people who have completely hit the bedrock. I do not believe that is possible in this life. Rather, they are people who know how to keep drilling and are getting closer and closer."

1 comment:

  1. By far one of the best books I've ever read! Keller is so wise. I am so thankful we got to read this! it was definitely so encouraging and I too found a lot of "hidden" idols in my life. Such a great book!

    ReplyDelete