photo HEADER copy_zpsfiiptbhs.png

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Verse of the Year

A few years ago, a dear friend of mine (and co-worker) encouraged me to choose a verse from scripture for the year. This was something she had always done, and I happened to like the idea. So, in 2007 I chose my verse for the year. This is not a verse that is chosen at random, but one that truly characterizes that particular year, and one that I end up clinging to throughout the year. Sometimes the verse does not come to me until a few months into the year, and often it comes from a certain passage of scripture or book of the Bible that I am studying at the time. As I look back over the years, it is really astonishing to see how the Lord weaves the verse into my life. I decided to share these verses with you, because they have become very dear to me. I hope that this will encourage you to begin choosing a verse for the year.

2007: "He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"

Micah 6:8
  • In 2007, the woman who was discipling me shared this verse with me. The words of this verse appear to be a direct command, and I realized my walk with the Lord should resemble these requirements. I memorized this verse, and through the year I often reflected upon it as I made daily decisions.
2008: "Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others." Philippians 2:3-4
  • 2008 was a year where the Lord was impressing upon me the importance of being humble. It really began in 2007, but I finally started to get it in 2008. I definitely still struggle with this daily...especially putting others before myself...however, I am much more consciously aware than I was before.
2009: "In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith--more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire--may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ." 1 Peter 1:6-8
  • 2009 was characterized with a definite trial, and one that continues today. At the time I chose this verse, I was studying 1 Peter with one of my disciples. This verse became very precious to me in the face of what I was enduring. It gave me much hope and encouraged me to persevere through the trial, knowing that the Lord was refining my faith in the process. Oh how sweet this verse still is to me today!
2010: "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

"You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock."
Isaiah 26:3-4
  • I chose two verses for this year, honestly because I could not pick just one. Both of these verses were chosen while I was walking through the miscarriage. Isaiah 55: 8-9 is one that I have clung to over and over this year. There have been so many moments where I have not been able to understand what the Lord is doing in our lives, and this verse has brought me much peace. His ways are not my ways, and one day we will fully know and understand. As for now, I have to continue to trust that His way is the best way for me. Isaiah 26:3-4 was a verse that a friend texted to me during the miscarriage. I just love this verse, and I am so thankful she pointed me to it. It strongly encourages me to continue to trust in Him. He is my Rock, and no trial is going to shake that truth. I can always rely upon the Lord, for He is my everlasting rock!

It really is quite humbling to see how much scripture can change when you begin to get it into your life. When you choose a verse for the year, and memorize it, it will become engrained in to your mind and heart. I am so glad I took this suggestion from my friend. These are verses that will always have great significance in my life. When I think about these verses, my mind is flooded with thoughts of all the Lord did in and through me that year. What precious thoughts! I highly encourage you to begin this, and it is not too late for this year! Just pick a verse!

No comments:

Post a Comment