photo HEADER copy_zpsfiiptbhs.png

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Crazy Love

Crazy Love was on my 2009 book list. I just finished the last two chapters this weekend. It is a book that I would highly recommend reading. I have come to admire Francis Chan greatly, and the Lord has used him to help me see more clearly the depth of my sin, yet how vast is His love and grace is in spite of it. His love for us is CRAZY! Chan also challenged me to live out my faith more radically (against the status quo), and in complete surrender to the Lord holding nothing back. I have previously posted about Crazy Love here and here. Please feel free to go back and read these. I will leave you with a few of my favorite quotes from this book. May they inspire you to read Crazy Love as well!

  • "Even though I glimpse God's holiness, I am still dumb enough to forget that life is all about God and not about me at all."
  • "The point of your life is to point to Him. Whatever you are doing, God wants to be glorified, because this whole things is His. It is His movie, His world, His gift."
  • "When we face the holy God, 'nice' isn't what we will be concerned with, and it definitely isn't what He will be thinking about. Any compliments on earth will be gone; all that will be left for you is truth....All that matters is the reality of who we are before God."
  • "The wildest part is that Jesus doesn't have to love us. His being is utterly complete and perfect apart from humanity. He doesn't need me or you. Yet He wants us, chooses us, even considers us His inheritance (Ephesians 1:18). The greatest knowledge we can ever have is knowing God treasures us."
  • "Lukewarm people think about life on earth much more often than eternity in heaven. Daily life is mostly focused on today's to-do list, this week's schedule, and next month's vacation. Rarely, if ever, do they intently consider the life to come. Regarding this C.S. Lewis wrote, 'If you read history you will find that the Christians who did the most for the present world were precisely those who thought the most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this."
  • "Our greatest fear as individuals and as a church should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter." Tim Kizziar
  • "But the fact is that nothing should concern us more than our relationship with God; it's about eternity, and nothing compares with that. God is not someone who can be tacked on to our lives."
  • "Jesus Christ didn't die only to save us from hell; He also died to save us from bondage to sin."
  • "Having faith often means doing what others see as crazy. Something is wrong when our lives make sense to unbelievers."
  • When it's hard and you are doubtful, give more...We like finding refuge in what we already have rather than in what we hope God will provide."
  • "Obsessed people are more concerned with obeying God than doing what is expected or fulfilling the status quo. A person who is obsessed with Jesus will do things that don't make sense in terms of success or wealth on this earth. As Martin Luther put it, 'There are two days on my calendar: this day and that day."
  • "We never grow closer to God when we just live life; it takes deliberate pursuit and attentiveness."
  • "The world needs Christians who don't tolerate the complacency of their own lives."
So, a few turned in to 13! There were so many quotes that really challenged me, and I could not pick just a few!

No comments:

Post a Comment