photo HEADER copy_zpsfiiptbhs.png

Saturday, May 7, 2011

The What If's

I have to admit that I have been a tad bit overwhelmed lately. As of today, we are only 30 days away from Hardy's due date, and that would be his latest arrival. He certainly could come before then. As you may know, I very much so have a Type A personality. Wanting to be prepared for Hardy's arrival is almost an understatement in my life and has recently created this mentality of "what if."

Let's begin with the nursery. Almost everything about decorating that room has been an issue. For instance, it took forever to find a dresser. My mom and I went to every antique store from Hattiesburg, MS to Memphis, TN in search of a dresser. Once she finally found one, we brought it home and it was the wrong color. So, then we had to have it painted. The bumper pads...beautiful, but too big and had to be sent back to the seamstress to cut down. The fabric for my crib skirt has been on back order for two months now, and currently is still held up in customs. And to top it all off, my mom order a lamp that came in yesterday and I was so excited to open it until I noticed the base was cracked. Seriously!! All this makes me ponder the question, "what if the nursery is not finished when Hardy is born?" Well this just does not settle with my Type A-ness, and has been quite frustrating to me lately. One of the reasons I always wanted to find out the gender of our baby is so the nursery would be complete upon coming home from the hospital--the other is that I do not have the patience to wait! :) The fact that everything in the nursery might not be done in time has really overwhelmed me, but I am learning the bigger picture here and will share that in a minute.

Then there is the entire labor and delivery process--OVERWHELMING!! I have definitely done my preparation here by reading a book, attending birthing classes, and asking all my friends to share their story. However, I still have these moments of what if I do not know what to do or what if something goes wrong. I think it is natural to have these fears, because I am about to do something I have never done before in my life. As the days draw closer though, I have become more and more overwhelmed.

Oh, and then I become a MOM and bring this sweet little boy home! Then the list of what ifs becomes about a mile long! Yesterday, the chair I had recovered was delivered (the one thing in the nursery that looks stunning right now), and last night I just sat in it for about 30 minutes and did some pondering. All these what ifs began popping into my head. What if he is not a good nurser? What if he cries all night and I don't know how to soothe him? What if I don't know how to change his diaper? What if I am simply not a good Mom?

After I went through all these questions, the Lord stopped me in my tracks and shared this verse with me. "And my God will supply every need of yours according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19 This is the bigger picture. While this verse speaks about our physical needs, I think it also applies to our emotional needs as well. I just need to surrender all these fears and doubts that I have to the Lord and trust that He is going to supply me with every need I have for being a mother. I need not to fret or worry over the what ifs because I have a Savior to rely upon, and only He can meet and satisfy my needs. I also think the Lord is continually teaching me a lesson that is hard for me to learn and that is to lower my expectations of myself. I have always been a hard worker, and my number one strength is achiever. At the end of the day, I must have achieved something in order to feel good about myself. While there are definitely positive aspects to this character trait, I can tend to be too hard on myself and expect too much out myself. This also creates independence in me rather than dependence upon the Lord. I am learning that I am just going to have to let some things go, and not keep the bar raised so high. I may not be the "perfect mom", but I can rely upon the Lord to meet my every need and and the needs of my precious Hardy.

Although I have spent the last few weeks wrestling with these what ifs, that does not discount the overwhelming sense of gratitude I have to the Lord for blessing us with this child. The journey to get here was a long road, and even today I am still amazed that there is life growing inside of me. I may worry that the crib skirt may not be finished in time, but oh how thankful I am that I even have a nursery to decorate. There were definitely moments over the past two years where I thought this day would never come. However, the Lord did indeed grant me the desires of my heart, and for that I am incredibly thankful. Thank you for allowing me to share my heart today, and to all of the moms reading this please feel free to leave me some advice or your thoughts on conquering the "what ifs."


3 comments:

  1. First of all, you look gorgeous! You are such a cute pregnant woman! I cannot wait to see his nursery. I'm sure it is precious! I know it is hard for you not to worry, but please try not to. You are going to be a wonderful mother to that sweet boy. If you have trouble nursing (it is work!), get a lactation consultant to help you. And if you don't like nursing (some people find they hate it), he will be fine if you bottle feed! You are not going to do everything perfectly. None of us are capable of that! I am constantly asking God to help refine me as a mother and I often have to ask forgiveness from God and from my boys when I lose it. I find that when I stop and realize that I am not being the best mom, when I ask God to help me I almost instantly feel peace and calm.

    As far as getting everything ready - it truly doesn't matter. I know you will feel better if it is 'perfect' but I will bet you won't care once you bring him home. My house was a mess when we came home with Will. I went to the hospital one evening because my blood pressure was up and was contracting. They decided to keep me and augment my labor and I had him the next day. The nursery was done but the house was a mess! Not what I was planning for! But it was fine. And then with Reed - I had not a single thing washed. His crib was in a box in the garage. The carseat hadn't been cleaned from Will. NOTHING was done except I had bought a coming home outfit. In fact, we still had to move Will out of what was to be Reed's room. I was so upset while I was in the hospital. At least I was at first. I cried many many tears because I couldn't control the situation. I had to give up my plans to decorate his nursery before he was born. I had planned to be off work a couple of weeks before he came and spend time with Will. We still hadn't picked a boy name! (his gender was a surprise). I thought I wouldn't be able to nurse him. I thought i likely wouldn't get to hold him after delivery and show him off to our parents and announce his gender. My house was a mess that time, too! I had a lot of conversations with God and finally I was able to say "I give you all control. This baby is yours, not mine. No matter what happens, I will praise you!" And amazingly, once he was born he was stable enough for me to hold him and show him to our parents and say "it's a BOY!". I was able to nurse him that night and he nursed better than Will! God gave me back so many things I thought I was giving up! Since he stayed in NICU 18 days we were able to move Will to his new room and set up the nursery. It was nearly perfect when he came home. But it really didn't matter. :)

    And for the labor process - what I have learned through 2 deliveries is not to have any expectations. Things can change instantly. I would pray for specific things (ie I did NOT want a section so I prayed hard for vaginal deliveries!) and of course for a healthy baby. Both times I prayed that my Dr. would be there to deliver since I didn't know the other Drs in the group (and he was!). If you want an epidural I would pray that you get it quickly and that it works well. Being in labor can make you a little crazy. My mother drove me NUTS when I was in labor! I learned with Will that I didn't want her in there but with Reed, Brad was out of town so she was in there until he arrived.

    Sorry this was long but just wanted to tell you that you are going to do great! I understand a lot of what you are feeling and I will be praying for you and Hardy and Kyle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amy! I loved this post. EVERY mom feels this way....at least all the moms I know do! If I am honest, I still feel unsure ALL THE TIME. I am constantly asking the Lord, "Help me know what to do in this situation!" Everyday is so different and I don't think you ever figure it out. You are going to be the best mama!!! I can't wait to meet Hardy. So glad I live in Oxford. Hopefully we can hang out more after he is born and things get settled at your house. So happy for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your heart and your anxieties which are all TOTALLY NORMAL! I do have to laugh though because now from the other side...I want to just tell you to ENJOY EVERY MOMENT. The nursery doesn't matter (although I was just as worried as you about having it ready before all of mine). If you are up all night with a crying baby - you will survive even if you don't think you will. It doesn't matter how many books you read...labor and delivery will be like nothing you have ever done and hopefully it will be amazing! I have a very similar personality and after having Ellie Kate...I had a hard time with her not following the books and instead doing her own thing. I still have a hard time when I have days I don't feel like I accomplished anything...but I am learning more than anything to SLOW DOWN and find joy in every moment. Fight for it. These moments will pass so quickly and the crib skirt not being on his crib when you brought him home will be a distant forgotten memory. You are going to be a great mama!!! Can't believe he's almost here:).

    ReplyDelete